Last month, St Stefanus Master Brewer Jef Versele hosted a workshop in London where the attendees were treated to a three course meal at Boyd’s Brasserie that perfectly complements different ages of St Stefanus Blonde.
As we began our meal we wanted to share the recipe with you. Give it a go at home, pairing it with a young 3 month St. Stefanus for the perfect fresh combination.
Seasonal Asparagus, Poached Duck Egg, Hollandaise
For the asparagus:
- 16 asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g/1oz butter
For the hollandaise:
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 large free-range eggs, yolks only
- Pinch salt
- 125g/4½oz butter, melted
For the poached eggs:
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 free-range eggs
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the asparagus spears and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain, and drizzle with olive oil. Shake the pan to coat the asparagus, then add salt and pepper.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium to high heat. When the pan is smoking, add the blanched asparagus until tender.
- Add the butter to the pan and, when foaming, shake the pan to coat the asparagus spears in the butter.
- For the hollandaise, in a separate, non-reactive pan, heat the lemon juice and white wine vinegar until just boiling.
- Place the egg yolks and a pinch of salt into a food processor. Set the motor to run slowly, then gradually add the hot lemon and vinegar mixture to the egg yolks in a thin stream, until all of the mixture has been incorporated into the egg yolks.-
- Gradually add the melted butter to the mixture in a thin stream, until completely incorporated.
- Set aside and keep warm (cover the mixture to prevent a skin from forming on the surface).
- For the poached eggs, bring a small pan of water to a gentle simmer then add the vinegar.
- Stir the simmering water vigorously, then carefully crack two of the eggs into the water. Poach until the eggs are cooked to your liking, then carefully remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
- To serve, place one poached egg on top of each serving of asparagus. Drizzle over the hollandaise sauce and serve immediately.
Delicious! We hope you agree. Let us know if you have a perfect seasonal pairing with the younger St. Stefanus, or how you got on with our recipe.